Tuesday, March 20, 2007


My great-grandparents (on my mother's side). My Great Grampy is holding my grandfather. I was named after my Great-Grandmother, Ula. She came from Lithuania by herself when she was seventeen. She worked in textile mills to earn money to help other family members come to the States. She met my Great-Grandfather in a boarding house where immigrants would work for their room and board. She was on her hands and knees, scrubbing the floor while a group of Lithuanian men were talking about what a good worker she was and how she would make a great wife. My Great-Grandfather went up to her right then and there and asked her to marry him. She said yes. They were very happy together.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eva Gale said...

OMG, that is THE best story. I have to read it again.

7:42 PM  
Blogger EL PADRONE said...

Hi Shmoop,

Things were so much more straightforward in those days weren't they ? No need for a pre-nup, no crap about "is he dateable or not" , no problems with birth control and proper beer too.

What went wrong ?

M.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home